AAAS Project 2061
An Invitation to Participate
in the Pilot Testing of Elementary, Middle, and
High School Science Assessment Items
AAAS Project 2061 is developing assessment items to measure late elementary, middle, and high school students’ understanding of ideas about energy. We are recruiting elementary, middle, and high school science teachers willing to pilot test our multiple-choice test items with their students in April, May or June of 2013. Students must be in fourth through twelfth grade, but it is not necessary that they have had formal instruction on the topic of energy. The test may be administered online or in paper format. Students will be asked to choose a correct answer to the test item and then answer follow up questions that allow them to provide written feedback on each item. The assessment should take no longer than 45 minutes to complete. As an incentive, each participating teacher will receive a $25 gift card from Amazon.com.
The guidelines for participation are as follows:
- You must be an elementary, middle, or high school science teacher.
- Your students must be in 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade.
- You must obtain permission to participate from the appropriate school or district personnel. Please do not register before you obtain permission.
- You must complete a short class information sheet after administering the test.
- You must return all testing materials, whether completed or not, to AAAS Project 2061 within four weeks of receiving the materials. (Pre-paid shipping envelopes will be provided to return the testing materials.)
This study is not intended to evaluate teachers or students. Individual student and teacher data will remain strictly confidential. Individual students will not be identifiable. Our only interest is to learn how students respond to these test items so that we can design test items that are valid measures of what students know about important energy ideas.
If you are willing to participate, please click the link below and complete the registration form that follows. After clicking on the link, you will be taken to a page that is very similar to this page. Participation in this study is limited, so registrations will be accepted on a first-come, firstserved basis. If necessary, we will also adjust our selections to achieve representation from urban, rural, and suburban schools from different parts of the country. Teachers who are selected to participate will be notified by email. Teachers who are not selected will be given priority for participating next school year.
Click here if you are willing to participate: http://register.p2061.org/energy.
The deadline for registration is April 14, 2013.
If you have any questions about the study, please contact Cari Herrmann Abell, Senior Research Associate at AAAS/Project 2061, at email@example.com.